Our Heritage of Healing
The early 1900s were exciting times. Geysers of rich crude oil spewed through wooden derricks into the sky; farmers were finding the dark valley soil would produce a wide variety of bountiful crops. Along the dusty streets of what was once Colonel Baker's field, oilfield workers, farmers and merchants brushed shoulders with weary travelers coming west to fulfill their dreams in the Golden State.
But dangerous jobs and the influx of people also meant accidents and diseases. Two nurses, Margaret Quinn and Mary O'Donnell, realized Bakersfield needed a new hospital to care for its citizens. They purchased a quarter-block site at 27th and Eye streets and began building a three-story structure that would house 26 patients. They proudly named their new institution San Joaquin Hospital. San Joaquin Hospital admitted its first patient on October 6, 1910.
In 1964, the word “community” was added to the name to reflect the hospital's focus on serving the community. In 1987, the hospital formally affiliated with the Seventh-day Adventist Church as a member of Adventist Health. Although a Christian hospital before that time, this also formalized San Joaquin Community Hospital's commitment to operate as a faith-based organization.
Yes, the hospital has seen many changes and plenty of technological advancements since it admitted its first patient in 1910, but some things have remained constant: Everything we do comes back to serving our patients and our community. More than a century later, after Mary and Margaret, San Joaquin Community Hospital is still committed to providing whole-person care to our community.